Monday, May 20, 2013

I Used to be a Pervert. Now I'm a Bigot.

Gays and lesbians.

Heterosexuals.

Upholders of traditional marriage.

Supporters of same-sex marriage.

Go ahead. Think of a label for some of the terms above. Many people do. That's partly why the other book I've had in the works is titled "I Used to be a Pervert. Now I'm a Bigot." It is an attempt to help people understand that there are problems on "both sides" of the marriage debate.

I believe the optimum situation in which to bring up children is with a mother and a father in the home. I do not think that women make very good fathers nor that men make very good mothers. I may be called a bigot by some, because of those views, but that certainly doesn't make me a bigot. Those beliefs do not come from hate, rather, concern for those not always considered--those yet to be born.

I know that people with same-sex attractions and those who identify as gay and lesbian are not necessarily perverts--no more, or less, than those who are heterosexually oriented. I may be called, or have been called, a pervert, especially back in the 70s and 80s when very few people dared to discuss homosexual attractions. However, because I've had those attractions, that does not make me a pervert.

One of my hopes with the book is that people will realize name-calling, and the assumption that someone can label another without even knowing them, is ridiculous. Also, I'm hoping to bring greater understanding concerning those accused of being "perverts" and those accused of being "bigots."

"Perverts" and "Bigots."

Sticks and stones may break my bones......and yes, words can hurt, too. Especially the ugly ones.

1 comment:

  1. I've thought about this a great deal and appreciate your insight. I've often thought that the labels have taken away my essential sense of self. If I allow the world to label me, I remain pliant to the ever changing whims of the world. I want the ability to have my own beliefs and opinions, as well as others, while remaining close to those I love, whatever standards they live. If my assessments and choices prove beneficiary to my happiness, of course I want to share them but in no way force them. My values are what keep me viable and without them I feel like I'd fall apart into nothingness...wait, already have, and came fatally close to acting on my thought that life wasn't worth living. I've been at both ends of the spectrum and echo your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete