Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It's Mother Approved!

I have to say, I was really concerned about how my mom would react to my presence on the LDS SSA website and the article about me in the Deseret News. She knows about my past. She's read Born That Way? But it has been somewhat difficult for her, in a Mormon culture, to have a daughter talk about such a previously taboo topic. (I'm just going to assume the website and the discussions surrounding it are helping to lessen the taboo-ness.)

Anyway, even though we live in the same town, I received a card from my mom today. I was very pleasantly surprised by what she had to say.

Mom wrote: "I want to tell you I have always been proud to be your mother. And never more so than when I read your article in the Deseret News. You've always been courageous but that was certainly the ultimate challenge.... You have risked your own comfort zone to help to bring love and understanding to those among us that have to deal with same-sex attraction. I have several friends with sons struggling to find their place in the Lord's plan. So, God bless you for your courage and that of Dallas and the girls. I love you and support you and your cause."

Wow, that's HUGE for my mom. I mean, she wasn't embarrassed, like I thought she might be. Instead, she was proud. That's how far off I was in estimating her reaction.

I'm trying to reiterate the point that we really don't know how people will react if we disclose. Sure, it might be negatively. But in my experience, there have been far, far more who have reacted with love, acceptance and support.

And couldn't we all use a little more of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment